Creative Ramblings of One Crunchy Mama
Recently I acquired an original Frankie Stein doll with a bad hair cut that I felt was worth fixing.
Someone happily chopped off the front of her hairline and I finished the job by trimming it all the way down to the scalp and then pushing the rest back through the root holes with a straight pin, effectively giving her a new hairline! After washing her up and combing the rest of her hair I decided she needed a perm. I wanted some nice crimped waves and settled on seeing what braiding would produce. I wrapped the ends of the braids with pipe cleaners instead of elastics because most elastics will melt right into the hair in boiling water.
I had previously only boil-permed a Journey Girl’s hair and had good results so I used the same method. Just boiled a pot of water and dunked her whole head in for a 10 count twice.
The braids came out nice, soft and relaxed, just as I suspected.
After 24 hours I removed the pipe cleaners and picked the braids out. Turned out pretty rad, exactly like I hoped!
Just as a test I washed her hair again and combed it out, the waves stayed perfect!
Dolly hair disaster fixed!