Threaded Alchemy

Creative Ramblings of One Crunchy Mama

Side Rail Refurb!


We recently got bunk beds for Willow and Lucas since they were long overdue for twin sized beds! I ended up having to put them up against a wall with baseboard heat and needed an extra side rail. I pulled the old Safety First one I had saved from Zack out of storage and put it to use once more.

It was hideously stained. It was one of the only things that survived the last flood and though I cleaned and dried it out it looked really bad.


I scrubbed it over and over but this was as good as it was getting, and that wasn’t good enough.

So I made a useful cover for it!

Much nicer right!?! It’s just a simple slipcover with an extra layer folded over and sectioned into 4 pockets that can fit books and toys and secret stuff all little girls have! It does not hinder the use whatsoever.

Makes a world of difference and Willow LOVES it! I love it too, I want a side rail for my bed now.. haha!


Happy Sewing!

5 comments on “Side Rail Refurb!

  1. nevragn
    July 12, 2012

    That is so cool!  What a great idea.

  2. BrokenHeartsBallet_Mom
    July 13, 2012

    what a clever ideaa

  3. hatcherbee
    July 13, 2012

    @nevragn – @BrokenHeartsBallet_Mom – Thanks!

  4. BrokenHeartsBallet_Mom
    July 13, 2012

    You’re welcome! I just got my sewing machine two wks ago, and just started trying to figure it out. I can’t wait to get a hang of it so that I can start making things like what you’ve created.

  5. sailing5
    July 26, 2012

    I had to do that too, but yours is much cuter fabric and the pockets are a great addition!! 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on July 11, 2012 by in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: